- Windows SharePoint Services (WSS3.0) comes free with Windows Server 2003.
- WSS 3.0 offers all the standard site templates to build team sites, document workspaces, blank sites, blogs, wikis, and meeting workspaces.
- WSS 3.0 can be used to create people and group lists.
- You can integrate WSS 3.0 sites with Access 2007, Excel 2007, Outlook 2007, Word 2007 and PowerPoint 2007.
- It also serves as a platform for application development. Including such IT resources as portals, team workspaces, e-mail, presence awareness, and Web based conferencing, Windows SharePoint Services enables users to locate distributed information quickly and efficiently, as well as connect to and work with others more productively.
- Create Site Collection: Select template will give minimum options it’s like Collaboration and Meetings.
Advantages MOSS 2007 has over WSS 3.0:
- Support User Profiles: Users could store profile information.
- Site Manager: Provided with Drag and Drop functionality to manage navigation and other web parts.
- Enterprise Search Tools: Tools to search SharePoint sites and portals across entire enterprise.
- Business Data Catalog (BDC): Enabling access and interaction with external data from business application.
- Data Search: Search data information from your business application using BDC.
- Data Web Parts: One could view the list and related information could be retrieve through BDC.
- Business Document Workflow Support: Using workflow applications document review, approval, signature collection, and tracking could be automated.
- Retention and Auditing Policies: Allows customized information management policy to control retention period and auditing.
- Spreadsheet Publishing: Allows user to share information with others and interact with published Spreadsheets.
- Managing Spreadsheets: Access to spreadsheet data and analysis. Could protect data information in spreadsheets.
- Excel Services for Web-based BI: Interactive, data-bound spreadsheets including charts, pivot-tables, tables could be shared easily.
- Report Management: Reports, spreadsheets, and data could be managed consistently.
- Key Performance Indicators: KPI web part could connect to analysis services, Spreadsheets, SharePoint lists and manually entered data.
- Email Notifications: Users could be notified by emails, for improved triggering and filtering.
- Single Sign On: User could sign on to multiple applications with single user id and password.
- Support to Personal Website: User could create personal web sites.
- Content Syndication: Use of RSS feeds to syndicate content managed in portal site.