Just as you can with Firefox, you can now power up Chrome by installing add-ons that improve the functionality of the app and boost your productivity. The best thing is that it is so very easy to do, not even requiring a restart to add, deactivate or uninstall new extensions. Best of all, they don’t seem to impact the performance of Chrome. Sorry FF, I changed my loyalty.
My fave 5 are:
1. Chromed Bird – best twitter extension for Chrome. It’s fast, light and relatively powerful. You can access home, mentions and direct messages. Plus it give you flexibility to reply, retweet and direct message users.
2. Google Mail Checker Plus – Earlier I was using Google Mail Checker, but with plus version available, this is a hot fave. You can preview, delete, archive or spam your unread mail without going into your inbox. You need a bit of work in the options to get going. But at least now I can have one tab less on my browser.
3. Chrome Muse – simple, effective and lets you use a dozen URL shortening services – bit.ly, tinyurl, goo.gl. Only drawback – no Twitter integration. For that you can use Goo.gl. It lets you shorten the links that can be shared with your friends on Twitter and other places.
4. Adthwart – this extension blocks unwanted ads. Simple and it’s very easy to switch the ads on and off.
5. Facebook for Google Chrome – lets you read your Facebook news feed and wall. You can also update your status by clicking on your profile picture.
As I was completing this post, I discovered some great extension, so this list now becomes my Top 10 Chrome Extensions:-
6. Google Quick Scroll – While doing a Google Search, when you navigate to a site, a clickable popup at the bottom of the screen shows you how many times the searched keyword shows up on the page with its locations. Neat!
7. Google Quick Scrol –Facebook Photo Zoom is a simple, light-weight extension that integrates directly into Facebook so you can see the larger images of photo albums, profile photos and more whenever you hover over a zoomable image!.
8.Google Dictionary (by Google) -View definitions easily as you browse the web.
9.Turn Off the Lights -The entire page will be fading to dark, so you can watch to a video as if you are in the cinema.
10.Downloads -Access the Downloads window directly from the toolbar.